Thursday, December 20, 2012

Terrible Teens

I know most people have heard of the "terrible twos", which are no walk in the park.  It takes a strong person to get through that difficult stage of parenting.  But, I am going to tell you about another "terrible" stage and that is the tween/teen years!  You parents who are already in this hell know what I am talking about- the mood swings, the tears, the social difficulties and all the other challenges brought on by becoming adults.  It is a difficult stage for teens, which, in turn, becomes a huge challenge for us parents!  I am hoping that other parents in this nightmare time will comment on this blog to let me, and others, know that we are not alone in this nightmare.  You parents still enjoying your time with your cute little ones, take note and maybe learn some tricks that you can use on your tween/teens- they may make your transition years easier.

Let me start by telling you what my 12 year old daughter did last night.  I am going to preface this by telling you that we gave her a phone for her 12th birthday last spring.  We gave her this phone because of her busy school/sport/social life.  We felt it necessary for her to have a means of contacting us, if needed.  My daughter has the free phone that comes with your plan- no iphone or smart phone.  She can call and text, that is all.  We felt the phone was a great time saver for us, as well, in that she could call when she needed to be picked up, instead of us waiting around for her.  Turns out, my daughter thought it should be a great time saver for her, as well.  Last night, as my husband and I were watching tv, I got a text on my phone.  It was from my daughter who was in the basement watching her own show.  She texted me to ask me to bring her a snack and a drink!  REALLY?? I mean, how lazy can a kid be?  She actually thought that I would get up and make her a snack and then deliver it to her!  HA! Clearly, that didn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment